Saturday, July 30, 2011

Frustrated.

Well blogs are for self expression and getting it all out there, so here's a nice rant for yall! I'm frustrated about a lot of things, most of those being directly tied to nursing school admission.

Classes start 3 weeks from Monday and my classmates and I have still received no information regarding our admission status, scheduling, orientation, or requirements to begin school. The first time I was in college this would not have been a big deal (nor would it have ever happened). I was totally dependent on my parents, I had HOPE (most of the time), and I had student loans. This time, however, I'm independent (perhaps I should've said we're independent), all HOPE is gone and I'm still paying back those same, useless student loans, so I'd prefer not to acquire anymore.

Waiting this long to inform students of admission status affects so much and at this point its nearly impossible for me to feel confident about starting August 22nd. Assuming I found out today, here's what I would have to cram into the next three weeks:
  • orientation
  • a 2 week notice at work (program is full-time)
  • a physical exam
  • a dental exam
  • book/uniform/supply buying ($1000+)
  • immunizations/obtaining immunization records from previous colleges
  • attempt to find a part-time job (probably not going to happen)
  • CPR/AED/First Aid certification
I think that's all. No big deal, right? No big deal if I didn't have to work and had a large trust fund!

Scholarships are out of the question due to the fact that you are required to have a copy of your acceptance letter for most nursing-specific scholarships. That means with no HOPE and no other grants (we made too much money last year, please join me in an intense belly laugh at that one!), we're paying for tuition, books, uniform, shoes, supplies (stethoscope, etc) all out of pocket. Could we laugh again, or would that be over kill? Who can afford that with little to no warning?! I do admit that I've known the costs involved the entire time, but I did expect to receive some form of financial aid and have time to take a stab at scholarships. Not the case.

I'm at my wits end. Is this even the right way to go? Is this where God is leading me? When I'm already this stressed before the "super intense" program has even begun? I'm not sure it is. I'm not even praying anymore, I'm down right begging and pleading and bargaining for answers. Pray with me? And any advice/guidance/words of wisdom/motivation you may have please share! I'm just so frustrated!

Trying not to let it get me down while looking at contingency plan #482.

XOXO,
Hannah

2 comments:

  1. Hannah, I know exactly where you are right now bc I have been there. While waiting and pleading about getting into dental school, I ended up going to dental hygiene school. I had a 4 year degree with loans that had to be paid, no HOPE bc I had used it all and no way to pay for Dental Hygiene School. BUT, we were able to get a bank loan that deferred payments until I was done with school. From what I remember interest wasn't terrible either. You should also be able to defer your undergrad loans until you are done with nursing school bc you will be a full time student. This is just a few things that I did when I went through. I came up with a total amount I need for tuition, supplies, books, etc. and the bank approved an amount for a certain amount of time. I am now paying it back but that is just an option of where I came up with the money. Best case senario you can borrow money from mom and dad and pay them back, but I know my mom didn't have that kind of money so this is the route we had to take. Let me know if you have any other questions that I can help with! I have been through the ringer mutliple times with every type of school, undergrad, tech school, and now dental graduate school. I have loans coming out my ears!! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. FYI, your interest still compounds during that time, so you might still want to pay the interest that is accruing while you are deferring.

    ReplyDelete