Sunday, April 10, 2011

Crafty Face.

Hi friends! Since I have extra time due to facebook hiatus, I have begun crafting. Today was my first day, in fact, and I'm pretty terrible thus far. BUT I have hope! As long as I can stop acting like me (i.e. throwing things down when they're not perfect the first time) I should be ok. So, as long as you pinkie-promise not to judge my talentless projects, you can see. Actually you can see regardless, but don't hate.

First off, meet Tyler's favorite shirt. He hasn't worn it since we've been married because two buttons fell off. He thought that wouldn't be a problem as he married a home economics teacher who should be a sewing genius. Unfortunately for him, said genius doesn't exist as sewing is no longer one of the standards and not taught in school. Luckily though, I did have to teach 40 8th graders to sew pillows (while the standards were being drafted) during my nightmare student teaching semester, so I can do this for him. I just had to do it on my own time...approximately 10 months later. So here is his shirt with not 2 but 3 fabulous, new buttons:

Why yes, I do always get dressed up to craft.
 

After that I got a little more hardcore and tried to use some of my skillz I learned from the internet. I LOVE crafty blogs (just google "craft blog" and you'll come up with tons of awesome ones that give you tutorials on doing all kinds of things) so I wanted to see if their tutorials were legit and made for dummies like me. First off, I made some felt flower earrings. They were very simple, but to prove what a rookie I am I made them in brown. So they look like piles of poop to put in your ears. Literally, cow pattie earrings.
 And to make foul-smelling errors even worse, they're enormous and look ridiculous. The tutorial I found used dangly earring hooks and I used flat backs, so that might've made the difference.
 Next, my ultimate craft goal (at least the first one): fabric rosettes. If you look from left to right, you'll see that evolution is occurring because this is the evolution of the fabric rosette. At least according to me. I like the triangular second one myself.


The best one. I did mess up using such busy fabric though..another rookie mistake.
Here's a felt flower that was made using the same "technique" as the supersized cow pattie earrings. It clearly needs some work, but I don't hate it.  
 My favorite rosette that I made is the pink one in front...still proof that I'm a rookie as the fabric is too busy. I'll know next time!
 And finally, a nice family picture of Hannah's crafty things for April 9, 2011. I think I'm going to put them altogether on a nice spring wreath next time I have hours to spare to get to a craft store...we don't have one here.

Well folks, that's it! That's as crafty as I get for now, but I'm working on it!Let me know if you'd like your own pair of cow pattie earrings, they're absolutely FREE!! (shocked?!) However, standard shipping and handling rates will apply.

XOXO & glue guns,
Hannah Crafty Face Extraordinaire

4 comments:

  1. Standards Shamdards.. If you interpret the 'personalized project' part of the middle school clothing and textile standard to mean that they need to make a pillowcase dress then you can make a whole STAR event from it! lol.. Thank GOD I'm moving to Germany! lol..

    You know I love crafts.. You might have found these but in case not, I thought I'd share..

    http://jonesdesigncompany.com/
    http://www.armommy.com/blog/
    http://www.thehandmadehome.net/

    You can thank me later.. =) P.S. I love the pink rosette.. I think that the fabric is cute!

    Check out my crafts on the Shop page on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually quite impressed with your fabric rosettes!!!! Super cute. And the earrings aren't terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just ROFLd. Literally. It's just SO you. Who makes fabric rosettes that look like "brown pieces of poop"? Why, Hannah, of course!!!!

    You should make a craft session and dedicate to my unborn child. I would LOVE to see!!! :)) Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  4. and there was no hate-age in that comment. It was pure, Tabitha-love <3

    ReplyDelete