Saturday, April 23, 2011

Hold Me Closer...

Not-so-tiny Dancer! That's what I felt like today! OLD. But if felt so good at the same time. In case you're not up-to-date on my facebook, today I danced (as in for the sake of performing and not just for fun) for the first time in 2.5 years! WHOA! Where on earth did the time go? I can't believe its been that long. So, here's a brief synopsis of my day, as well as a little clue as to how I'm feeling after the fact.

**Warning this will end on a sappy, teary note. I can't help it, you know that I'm aging (turning into my mom!)!**

I started the day nervous as all get out. I'm talking gastrointestinal issues all over the place (you wanted to know, I know) so much so that Tyler & I had to go unlock the band room because we were in town and I HAD to go. You all know how nervous I am anyway. SO we were all a little unsure of what we were wearing, as now that we're adults we had to order costumes ourselves and had chosen a number of back-ordered items. So, along with my SMALL ADULT leotard, I brought pants, 2 skirts, shorts, and a pair of dance capris. Because of this, 3 out of 5 of us were wearing my clothese! YES! I love being prepared! Are you proud, Mama?? We got dressed, did a few run-throughs, and headed out for rehearsal. Then I got even more nervous! YIKES!

The nerves were just a rouse though, because the whole thing went off without a hitch...mostly, anyway. What do you expect from a bunch of old chicks doing some hardcore dancing?! I'm kidding, there were minor slip ups (as always) but overall, I'm quite proud of the ole Dance Academy teachers! And, even better, my Tyler said I was the prettiest girl in the recital! YES! He even took me to Taco Bell afterwards, what a lucky lady! Here's a post-performance picture in the kitchen...ignore the mess, we're in the middle of a move! No judging!


At present, I'm freshly showered and snuggled up in my robe, feeling a little sore and a lot nostalgic. Dancing will do that to you, or at least to me. I think its because dancing is home to me, its my constant. I started when I was barely 3, so I don't even remember a time when I didn't dance. Dancing brought me through a lot of things, including my parents' divorce and an abusive relationship, when nothing else felt comforting. In reality, it's a part of who I am.

So why am I expected to stop because school is over? Now don't get me wrong, I don't think I should be doing any solos or rockin the front row in recital routines, but I don't think we should ever have to stop dancing. There are classes to take and classes to teach, and, though it seemed a little ridiculous when I was first asked to be a part of one, there are teacher routines to be performed. Because everybody wants to know that their dance teacher can actually dance and isn't just part of some money-making scheme. Which, by the way, isn't the case. You do not teach dance because you want to be wealthy...you teach dance because you love it and you want to transfer that love to somebody else. I digress...don't ask me to stop dancing. Because that's asking me to stop doing what I love and to stop being who I am. I am not ok with that. Ever. Even when I'm pregnant and wearing maternity dancewear...right Miss Emily??

Like I said earlier, dance is home. There is no way I could possibly be as happy as I am in Thomasville without working at the Dance Academy and dancing with the girls I dance with. My little ones are a hoot, my teenagers are teenagers (ha!), the teachers have become my friends, and Mrs. Susan has always made me feel like I fit right in--like one of her own dancers. I could not be more thankful to any of those people, for letting me be a part of what they've got going here. I love it! What's not to love, folks? 

So, though I'm loving my new home and my new friends, I am also left missing the old girls/boys I danced with too. Even though I spent literal years fighting with these people, I bonded with them. We weren't just girls (+ Ted + Zeb) who danced together, we were sisters--a family. So, I say a teary-eyed thank you for letting me dance beside you for years and I hope each of you knows how much you mean to me. We don't talk anymore (aside from my 42nd Street sisters), but I love you all and I'd give anything to do it all just one more time! I'll never forget any insane Dance Caravan trips/early Saturday morning practices/marathon recitals/out of town competition weekends/etc. I'm exhausted just thinking of it all, but I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world! I obviously can't finish this up without mentioning Miss Lisa & Miss Mandi (my other moms) & even my mean ole wig-wiring-in Mama, but I don't even have the words to say. I am forever grateful for the dance lessons and the life lessons that I gained from all 3 of you. Could I love you more? Absolutely not. Though there were days when I hated you, I'm thankful for those too...I turned out alright even though I refuse to ever attempt an aerial again. Thank you a million times over and I love you all!

Ok, enough sappy sweetness, its typically not my style. That's what dancing does to me! In other news: HE has risen! Come celebrate our forgiveness and visit The Gathering Church tomorrow! We would LOVE to have you AND you could win an iPad!! Best Western in Tville 9am & 11am! COME!

XOXO & some sore muscles,
Hannah


PS: Share your nostalgia with me! Give me your hilarious/sad/awesome dance stories+memories!

4 comments:

  1. I completely agree and had a very similar sappy and heartfelt blog on it a while ago:

    http://dkj-adventuresofa20something.blogspot.com/2011/01/gotta-dance.html

    Dance is home and it is like an old friend, you will always be able to pick it back up and love it with the same intensity. Even at times in my life when nothing else felt like it made sense dance always did. I miss it but I've found a way to keep it up even though its only 1 class a week it is the 1 thing that I do in my week that is entirely for me plus the exercise doesn't hurt :-) I'm so glad you were able to perform on stage again, I really miss that part! I think it is why some of my closest friends are dancers is because no one else gets it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I danced from 3 years old to 18. And my very last dance recital, besides the senior number, I looked like I had never danced before in my life. It's like all the steps just left my brain! We all laughed about it, but if I could change one thing about that night I would do everything perfectly! But then that would be no fun! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. God, I don't even know where to start. How about switching teams in 6th grade... or "M&M&M!!" Just in case you don't remember the latter, it was our road trip when we were playing the letter game. I said M&M&M and Ms. Debbie thought it was the funniest thing ever. I miss dance insanely bad and I'd give anything to do it just one more day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about my ponytail falling out in the talent show while we were wearing our Supermodel/ Victoria's Secret looking costumes? I will NEVER forget that. Or the 3 of us with our matching outfits and braids, and Tammy, Debbie and Leigh mixing us up... or GigaPet babysitting service... or singing IRONIC at the top of our lungs all the time!

    Oh, and one more thing: KIT ANDRE IS FAAAAABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete