Thursday, April 3, 2014

The Rest of the Story

Hey yall!

So in case you missed it yesterday, we're pregnant!! I doubt you did, I posted it everywhere, but I just really like saying it. Aside from congratulations, the question/comment I've gotten most was, "How did you finally get pregnant? What worked for you?" so I figured I owe you an answer. And by that I mean I WANT to give you the answer, because it's such vivid proof of our God's power and love that I just can't keep quiet.

Let's begin with the basics in case you haven't been following our journey...I don't ovulate. Like ever. I was on contraceptives for the first 2 years of our marriage, but after that all things in the baby making department ceased to exist. I figured out I wasn't ovulating on my own, and after 3 different MDs in 2 different cities it was finally confirmed. My sweet little demon ovaries were rebelling against my heart and soul and saying no.

We did 3 rounds of Provera in hopes that it would "jump start" my menstual cycle naturally, and when that failed we tried Progesterone + Femara to make me ovulate...which also failed. In January I finally started seeing my current doctor (who is fabulous and wonderful and I wish she'd be my primary MD, my OB, my dentist, etc all at once. I love her!) and she gave me the ultrasound I had been begging for. My suspicions were confirmed at that time: I have PCOS. There was one beautiful thing on that ultrasound though...one teeny tiny microscopic almost-mature follicle: AN EGG!! One beautiful egg! We knew it was likely that we wouldn't "catch" it, but at least it was there...and with it came hope.

We left the doctor's office that day with the plan to return in a few weeks to start Provera and Clomid in order to stimulate ovulation. Here's something you should know: Provera is toxic to a zygote/embryo (tiny baby who isn't big enough to be a fetus yet) and if pregnant it would kill the baby. I was SO excited to be handed this hope! I just knew Clomid would be my ticket to motherhood.

Approximately 4 days later that microscopic egg matured and was fertilized. A beautiful, perfect life was formed, we just didn't know it yet, and our pregnancy was so young it would never register on a test before our doctor's appointment. We proceeded with our plans to travel to the doctor and start our new medication regimen.

Remember the snow storm that shut down Atlanta? That snow storm saved our baby's life. Though I'm sure it's not the only reason God shut down Atlanta, I just know He shut it down to keep us from getting to our appointment. If we would've made it to Calhoun we would've started Provera and potentially terminated the pregnancy we prayed for so long. I've said it before and I'll say it again: God is SOVEREIGN! He shut down a city for my baby when it was but a mass of cells!

So that's how we got pregnant. Through prayer and not medicine. Through God and not science, because GOD IS ABLE. If you take nothing else from my story, please take that. God loves you enough to shut down a city and force people to sleep in schools and grocery stores. All for you. You're that important and that loved. You have been since before you were born.

How blessed we are!

XOXO,
Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment