Thursday, January 6, 2011

Three Cheers for Post Secondary Education.

Hello friends! I should be at 10am Zumba right now, but thanks to a "glitch in the system" with my Kindle, I've been on the phone with Kindle support instead. At least I have a scapegoat for my laziness. Because I promised a rant about school, I would really hate to let you down. I'm not quite sure where to begin, but we'll muddle through this together and see how it goes.

In high school, I had 2 future dreams/goals: To go to UGA and to be a nurse. What I failed to research and figure out was that UGA had no nursing program and these 2 things could not coexist. So I went with what I thought mattered most: UGA. I went in as a biology major with hopes of doing nursing school after graduation and we can all share a good, hearty laugh at that. While I work hard, I am not a math/science student and biology was quickly replaced with Psychology. When I hated Psychology 1101, I changed to Sociology. Then to Nutrition/Dietetics (need I remind you of my love affair with food or can you already assume that didn't work out?), Health Promotion and Behavior (looking back toward nursing post-grad) and Women's Studies. Then I met a boy(not the hubby). It wasn't in boy's plan to have a girlfriend/potential wife who was a feminist, so he steered me (forcefully, I might add) toward Family and Consumer Science Education. I never wanted to be a teacher. I didn't even play teacher when I was a kid. Once I gained some sense and gave him the boot, it was too late. Thus, I became the worst home economics teacher in the history of the US of A. Not true. I've actually been complimented on my teaching abilities, once told "this is what you were born to do!" but what good is being good when you're miserable? I taught for a year, then married the most incredible man I've ever met.

He encouraged me to go back to school and be happy. I feel like I fail to mention how much I do love him, but given that it is impossible to put into words I really can't. I love him and I thank God every single day that this magnificent man was blessed with the extreme patience to love me back! Back to the story: I started at Southwest GA Technical College in October 2010 and to say I had to jump through hoops would be an understatement. They didn't believe that I have a bachelor's degree, despite their receipt of my transcripts, so I had to sign a form admitting it...I will never truly understand that. I then had to bring in my 2010 tax forms, Tyler's 2010 tax forms, and my mom's. Somehow I ended up with 3 quarters of HOPE scholarship for my pre-requisite classes. I was going to be an X-Ray Tech. God had other plans, and I feel he audibly spoke to me three times and said "be a nurse." So I called the school and found an LPN program starting in April and decided, for once in my life, to have a little faith and follow Him. More hurdles. It took a solid week to "process my major change" i.e. change it in the computer and thus I ended up on the wait-list for a required pre-requisite to be finished by April. Yesterday, I headed to the school to find out I'm #13.  That sounds like terrible odds to me! After letting me sweat, the nice lady at the info desk informed me that they were going to make another class! Why didn't they do that in the first place so I didn't have to panic?!?! So, assuming I can keep my grades up and get myself into the program in April, I'll be signing things Hannah Lipsey, LPN by 25th birthday! I will then work while getting my RN, which will take another year, but at least I can work simultaneously. I hate being a housewife! And this will (hopefully) end my housewife career sooner rather than later.

So that's my school story. I'm sure they will do more to infuriate me and this won't be the last you'll hear about school tribulations, but I really hope it is! I haven't cut the bangs yet, and I'm still working on the 25 Before 25 list, but I'll post those as soon as they actually happen. No real diet news except I'm as hungry as ever and still craving Dr. P! Thanks for following me, I love your support!

XOXO,
Hannah

1 comment:

  1. It is amazing how God works in our lives. Opening and closing doors so the plan He has for us is right there.

    Tyler is wonderful and a perfect match for you.

    I am so glad that you are following your dream and taking a leap of faith in Him.

    and lastly they better fix your Kindle. I am relly looking foward to playing with it!

    Maybe you should have a Diet Dr. Pepper... definitely better and same taster. That is what I live on.

    ReplyDelete