Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Rant of All Rants!

Except not really because I've had time to calm down & talk to hubby (always an extra bonus when he's at work). I don't really know where to start and I'm still very angry, so bear with me.

Remember about 2-3 posts ago when I said I would be signing my name Hannah Lipsey, LPN in just over a year? Well ignore it. Its not happening. I was SO excited to find out I got into my class this morning that I got up early, got my stuff together and looked legit before showing up. If you knew me in college part 1 (Tiffany!) you know that I typically did not look legit and put together when going to class. I digress...I got there, along with about 60 other people. We file into the room across the hall because the actual classroom cannot accommodate all of us and begin to be introduced into the class. The teacher first asks for a show of hands for how many people are applying to the program in April...all 60ish hands go up. She reminds us that only 25 can get in and then drops this bomb:

Students are admitted into the LPN program not based on GPA, but on how long they've been attending this school in hopes of getting into the program.

Let me break that down for you. My 4.0 GPA and previous Bachelor's degree from UGA are completely useless in getting into the LPN program. Of course folks are asking questions at this point, but its pretty clear. The person behind me who has been enrolled here since 2008 and has a 2.1 GPA (yes, this is an actual scenario) will get accepted into the program before me. How would you feel if that person was the one who passed meds to your relative in the hospital/nursing home? Scary.

So I politely (ish) gathered my books and marched my sweaty, red-faced, cussing in my head self to the admissions office to make sure I understood this process clearly. Fortunately, they were actually both nice and helpful (for the first time, might I add) and I have now changed my major to Registered Nursing because admission to that program actually makes sense! WOW! Ironically, I need less classes to get into that major, so I am only in class from 5-8:30 on Mondays and Tuesdays now. 2 classes this quarter also means no paying out of pocket! And I'll be off this summer! Who says I'm not a positive Patel?

I also have to add that the Lord has been speaking to me today. He seems to be stuck on replay, but I keep hearing "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11 NIV  He sure enough works in mysterious ways, but who am I not to trust Him? He keeps promising to take care of me, and He has so far. Thank you, Lord, for all the things You see and I miss.

XOXO,
Hannah

3 comments:

  1. That story had quite a few twist and turns. I was on the edge of my seat ready to come and take somebody out. I am so glad that it worked out and is even better! The Lord is great and always has something better for us.

    and yes I am very proud of you looking put together for class. We both know how you (and I) looked like going to class. Luckily our future husbands did not take classes with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will be glad you are going that route anyway!!! I have never heard of such!!!! God is certainly throwing that verse at me too A LOT lately!!! And also in the whole entire process of me getting into dental school, and now I see what he was doing for me LOUD and CLEAR!!! Hang in there and I think you will be an awesome RN!!!

    ReplyDelete