Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Zumba: The best and worst

Hello avid (or not, but humor me) readers! I am just back from my very first Zumba class and what a treat it was! If you know me, and you probably do if you've found this blog, you know that I LOVE lists. I like writing them, crossing things off of them, adding things just so I can cross them off because I've already done them...I love lists. So, I'm going to give you not one but TWO lists about my Zumba experience #1: The best and worst.

The top 5 things I hated most about my first Zumba class
5. How out of shape I am. I could keep up, but your girl was sweatin' something fierce!!
4. The men. I realize I shouldn't hate on men who are trying to shake their groove thang and shed some pounds in the process, but its a little weird to shake my groove thang the way I need to when they're looking around. When did I get this modest?!
3. The huge crowd. I realize I can't complain about the "new years rush" at the gym seeing as I'm a part of it, but sheesh! There were a ton of people in the class and it was very difficult to do everything without getting elbowed. This may be due in part to #2...
2. The crazy uncoordinated lady to my right. Again, we are all entitled to a great workout, however I should not have to play dodge ball (or elbow, wrist, hip, knee, etc) while working out! You may be uncoordinated, but please, for the love, be aware of your body. If the person next to you is more aware of your body then you are, maybe you should use work out videos until you get the hang of it. Please?
1. The bra-less lady doing her own thing in front of me. Oh yes, I saw you. And good for you girl, you do it! But its always good to remember you're in public...and the instructor has been trained to teach you, so she knows what she's doing! We don't even need to discuss the undergarments.

The Top 5 Things I loved most about my first Zumba class
5. My instructor's sweet Zumba wardrobe. Yes, I'm serious. Those pants were awesome & I think they made it look like she was doing more with her hips than she actually was. Plus she said they were comfortable. I need some.
4. My sweet work out buddies. 2 of my darling Dazzlers were at Zumba and those girls are super fun to dance with, especially when I'm learning the routines with them instead of teaching them!
3. Movin' my hips like yea. Zumba is all about the hip movement and I have to say I kind of love that. Especially the standing crunches that are too easily mistaken for pelvic thrusts...I feel a little weird doing them, but I can't say I don't love it!
2. The fact that it gets my heart rate up, but doesn't kill me. I've been to too many group work out classes that leave me unable to move afterward. I must mention again that I'm out of shape, but I still shouldn't feel semi-paralyzed upon leaving. This class accelerated my heart rate for the full hour, made me sweat, and I left feeling great!
1. Ya girl's still got it. I may jiggle a little bit more when I do it, but I'm still tons more coordinated than at least 1/2 of the people in my class, and that's enough for me. I picked up on things quickly and was able to let the dancer in me come out, so I left happy...always positive!

So that's what I've got on Zumba. If you're thinking about it...DO IT! Its totally worth the hour and teensy bit of embarassment you'll put into it. In fact, it has me feelin' so good I can't even complain about school today. I will tomorrow when I wake up grouchy & hungry:)

XOXO,
Hannah

2 comments:

  1. So after reading this I was provoked to look this up on youtube. It really looks like fun. Much better than just a plain old work out (which is what I am doing). My only question: were you able to work in that extra beat for your hips. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah! I'm so glad I discovered your blog. And I adore Zumba! I did it regularly while I was at UGA, and I am missing it big time now that I'm in SC. Hope you keep it up! Zumba always made my day :)

    ReplyDelete