Thursday, January 27, 2011

Job Shmob

Hi friends! I'm getting progressively worse about posting, so here is my legitimate effort to update you on life and possibly make you laugh at least a little. I had every intention of posting an Athens blog before I discussed my current lack of employment, but this is a new thing in my life right now, so Athens will have to wait.

I must start with the cold, hard facts that I have never looked for a job on my own before. When I was in high school I worked for my aunt & at the dance studio, then in college I found my job through Federal Work Study, which means they gave me a job because I'm poor. I had a little help landing my first teaching job, and a lot of help finding all jobs I have held thus far in Thomasville. So, Tuesday morning, I put my big girl panties on and went to find a job. I hit up the Publix first and I had to call my mom from the car before going in. Why? I wasn't sure if I was supposed to ask "Are you hiring?" or "Can I get an application?" first. I know this sounds completely ridiculous.  I'm 23 years, 8 months, and 2 days old (at that point, now you can add 2 more days to that) after all, and I should know how to properly seek employment by myself. After deciding that it was best to ask if they were hiring first, I got out of the car and went in. Luck would have it that someone else was applying for a job at the moment (they have only one computer for applying) and about 2 minutes after I entered the store someone called for a manager over the intercom because the darn thing broke. I don't know the details on this "malfunction," but I didn't get to apply. So I headed next door to Sally Beauty Supply. Let me add here that it was pouring rain and I looked a hot mess, so I didn't really expect to be hired for a job at a place with beauty in the name...I was told they hired someone last week. PERFECT! I hit up just about every other place I could think of in Thomasville, and then began the waiting game.

This morning, I got a call! Now, I signed a paper agreeing that I wouldn't blog about specifics or post them on facebook, so that's really all I can tell you. That and the fact that this job only lasts until Monday afternoon. But, its a start! And I must note here that I am quite proud of my little 2.5 day job. I have never obtained employment all by myself before, and I feel accomplished...at least until Tuesday. In the meantime, I'll continue praying for something permanent (and I wish you would, too!), but I'll remain thankful for what I've got. It's more money than I thought I'd be bringing in this week!

XOXO,
Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment